THE BEHIND POSTS [I.1] (Miscellaneous)

A new section with some comments I have posted around the web during the week, regardless of their quality! Among those related to footy, of course…

----

Facebook and Twitter

Following GremioPower and Far-West Footy is easy.
Facebook:
http://facebook.com/farwestfooty
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/GremioPower

Our posts can be found on BigFooty and Reddit, as well.
----

Facing the Critics
I read the blog post to my 9-year-old. He was bored to death until the point when I went full "The Princess Bride." Then, he began laughing hysterically:

You mixed the Turk with the Spaniard!

At the end, he said:

What?! You've made mom speak like the Spaniard!? That is "inconceivable!"

I will be better next time. [Maybe not.]
----

“Gray Robbie and Sam,” by Dr. Zeus
I am Sam. I am Sam. Sam-I-Am.


That Sam-I-Am! That Sam-I-Am! I do not like that Sam-I-Am!

Do you like Gray Robbie and Sam?

I do not like that Sam-I-Am.
I do like Gray Robbie, not Sam.

Would you like them here or there?

I would not like them here or there.
I would not like them anywhere.
I do like Gray Robbie, not Sam.
I do not like that Sam-I-Am.

Would you play him while sane?
Would you play him in Brisbane?
Would you? Could you? For a tall?
Play him! Play him! It is football!

I would not, could not, for a tall.

You may like him. It will be fine.
You may like him in the forward line!

I would not, could not in the forward line.
Not for a tall! It shivers my spine.
I will not play him while sane.
I do not like him in Brisbane.
I do not like him here or there.
I do not like him anywhere!
I do like Gray Robbie, not Sam!
I do not like that Sam-I-Am.

You do not like him. So you say.
Try him! Try him! And you may.
Try him and you may, I say.

Sam! If you let me be,
I will try him. You will see.
Say! I like Gray Robbie AND Sam!
I do! I like that Sam-I-Am!
He is so good, so good, you see!
So I will play him for a tall.
And I will let him play football.
And I will let him play the sport.
And I will play him in for Port.
And I will play him while sane.
And I will play him in Brisbane.
And I will play him here and there.
Say! I will play him anywhere!
I do so like Gray Robbie and Sam!
Thank you!
Thank you, Sam-I-Am.
----

Sam in for Marshall
It is a tough situation, I like Sam, but the selections show lack of imagination. Hinkley wants to be edgy, but he is very conservative whenever the original plan is forced to change.

Perhaps, Marshall should have been dropped last week. Everybody loves him at the club. He will be back soon.

Marshall is a hybrid. He is able to, and is expected to, play both tall and small. That's why he is so special, and why dropping him is always challenging.

I imagine that Sam will get most of the "small" duties, but who would get the "tall" ones?

Frampton and Marshall are alike as much as Sam Gray and Marshall. If the point is to preserve structure, Billy is NOT the answer.

Even though we got shorter, Marshall is NOT replacing Dixon; Paddy is.
----

Stats are like bikinis
As the old saying goes: "stats are like bikinis; they show everything, but that which matters the most." We can keep throwing numbers at each other, but I don't think we will end up learning much.

Stats are relevant. They bring up questions. For instance, if your opponent doesn't have the ball, they cannot score. Also, the ball covers more ground than any player. Keeping possession may tire the opposition.

The Lions were the first team to have more disposals than us. We were exhausted in the end, and they scored more than Dees and Blues. Do the disposals have anything to with it? Moreover, did we play more directly because we wanted to, or did Brisbane force us to change our approach?

The stats don't answer those questions, but bring them up.
----

Inoffensive Line
Offensively, our games have been quite similar. There wasn't much difference with Sam Gray on the team.
Offense can't kick straight to save their lives. We have a greater chance of 60-behinding a team than 10-goaling it...

Our issue is not mechanical, physical, tactical, or structural. It is mental and spiritual! We miss goals and lose close games because we don't believe no one deserves it more than we do. We have forgotten how to succeed. We have lost touch with what we are. We need to restore our "portness". LIVE THE CREED, PORT!
----

The Good News is we play Finals. The bad is…
We are short and really bad at this "goal-scoring business." I'm here since 2017, and I have seen this movie a lot already. My goodness, you all follow Port for so much longer... You must feel trapped in Groundhog's Day!

The worst news is that no one in the Maggies played well to justify being called up... 
----

If you liked it, then you should have put a ring on it
Stop screwing around, trying to keep a "friendship with benefits". For this to work, we must "marry" China. All in or nothing...

----

Chad of All Trades
Y'all are aware that it is perfectly possible for both parties win a trade, right? That's pretty much the reason why people do trade in the first place...


Wingard's was a three-party trade. In brief, from our perspective, the trade was:

Out: Chad Wingard, pick #6 (Ben King), Hawk's pick #35 (Tom Berry), and two 2019 third round pick (Port and Freo);
In: Ryan Burton, Sam Mayes, Brisbane's pick #5 (Connor Rozee), Hawks' pick #18 (Xavier Duursma), and Hawks' 2019 fourth round.


It looks fair to me. We got two solid players on Burton and Mayes, and our last year's picks went from #6 and #35 to #5 and #18. One could question trading out two third-round picks for one fourth-rounder (obviously unders), but I don't value much those picks, tbh.


The bad trade was not Wingard's, but Polec's. We basically dispatched Polec and Jasper for pick 11, and we even paid for all the freight costs!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“SHOVE THIS!” (Showdown 44: Port 95 - 90 West Lakes)

THE BEHIND POSTS [I.2] (Miscellaneous)

The Riddle of the Sphinkley (Port 60 - 102 West Coast)