Feeling Deflated (Showdown XLVI: Port 68 - 88 West Lakes)


Unfortunately, Port didn't play well, and the result was bad. Still, I would like to thanks Jason KJanusTimTime, and all others who took their time and effort to help me watch the game. I have no words that could express my feelings for it. 

---

PREFACE
On Friday evening, wife, kids, and I took the night bus to Porto Alegre [which, by the way, is absurdly expensive – for fewer than half of the cost, we can get a similar bus to Buenos Aires] for Mother's Day. The game was already on when we arrived eight hours later. I started listen to the game while still on the bus. I was able to watch it from the 2nd part of Q2 onwards, already at my in-laws.


It wasn’t pretty. I really wanted to show my kids an amazing Port win, but I couldn’t invite them to watch the game with me. It was that bad. To make things worse, my kids knew something was wrong. They would just look at me staring at the phone and say, from time to time: “We are losing, right, daddy?

But that was not the worst. No! They began to enjoy my suffering! Whenever I answered “yes,” they would begin emulating the awful recorder version of “My Heart Will Go On” – the soundtrack of this video:

 
That’s what happens when you raise your kids well. At least, we shared good laughs that morning. Damn you, Port!

ON THE GAME
West Lakes have lost some players as well, but not as relevant as Jonas, Wines, Hartlett, Dixon, and Robbie Gray — their form notwithstanding. Those 5 are the core of our squad.
Their equivalents would be Walker, Sloane, Betts, etc. It was fair considering them favourites before the game. However, I am not making excuses. I think we can play better, even with all those outs.

It looked a very equal match, besides they getting 44 points ahead at a certain point. During the entire game, as usual, they got some goals from the umpires. Still, we could have played smarter. Too many times I saw us allowing them to get into better position and having the ball, and our F50 entries weren't good.

If we are going to bomb the ball inside 50, wouldn't having Frampton there help us? I don't understand. Play low, then! Get in front of them! For three quarters, we looked like a very uncoached side. In Q4, we got a bit better with Howard as a target, but it was too late.

Overall, there was barely any cohesion between our players: (a) we were unable to reajust whenever there was a mistake or the play failed; (b) we were forcing the first option without looking for alternatives; and, (c) when we didn't force the first option because it was shut, we weren't able to find effective alternatives either because (c.1) other players wouldn't provide it or (c.2) the player with the ball failed to find them. 

There was plenty of plays we simply failed to execute it properly. Our outs are tough outs. That's undeniable. We have only two of last year’s seven-man leadership group current playing, which is scary. Our ins didn't play well. Not only AJ, and Broadbent, which I had expected; but also, Motlop and Farrell. Still, our lack of common understanding was the biggest issue. That was my impression watching the game.
 
Now, how can we look well coached in one week and completely the opposite in another? I have no idea.

WE LOST! NOW, WHAT?

After every game, it is the same story: "We played well, but couldn't make the most out of our chances." Still, we never call up those scoring goals for the Maggies. It is maddening! Hinkley's favorite part of “The Creed” seems to be "There can be honour in defeat." Hence, if I try hard enough, it is fine. Trying something different, perchance? “Yeah… Nah…” Come on!

I understand that we have a plan, and that we have put a lot of thought and work on it. However, if circumstances change, we must adjust to them; even if it means sacrificing the previous plan. I have been following this team for two years, so I am new. Still, in those two years, our forward line has been dysfunctional. Yet, its setup NEVER changes.

 
Our greatest move was moving Howard down the field. It was even deemed "creative and daring" by Hinkley. I believe he meant desperate, because the game was practically lost when it happened. Having an actual target in our forward line worked. Are we willing to try it again? I am not confident. Even though we may be “creative and daring” in the offseason, we hardly are during the season.

Having said that, we may still make something good out of this mess of a season. Desperate times; desperate measures. Let’s be creative and daring, then. We should consider the matches against Suns, Hawks, and Saints as JLT 3, 4, and 5. It would be a new preseason. Time to take risks, and do experimentations. We are 4-4, anyway. What do we have to lose?

We may still get 2 wins out of three against those teams, regardless. Then, let's begin our second 11-game season of the year in Perth, and move on from there. An 8-3 record on top of a 6-5 would put us into September. We prefer to play away, even. A 7th place could do the trick for us. It worked well for the Dogs…

CARN THE POWER!!!

---

POSTSCRIPT
Why are the TV commentators so much worse than the radio's? It happens in Brazilian soccer too. There were times that I wished I could put the radio broadcast on or simply have the background sound and nothing else. Those guys don't bring anything useful. I have learned almost nothing new from them.


Finally, I wish they had a commentator only for the umpires. It is common in Brazil, but I have never seen it elsewhere. Not that I agree with them all the time, but they always bring insights on what the umpires are doing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“SHOVE THIS!” (Showdown 44: Port 95 - 90 West Lakes)

THE BEHIND POSTS [I.2] (Miscellaneous)

The Riddle of the Sphinkley (Port 60 - 102 West Coast)